TheUtah Politick

Personal political rants. My opinion means nothing to you.

Since government cannot separate politics and religion, neither will I.

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Bush speaks

I heard that President Bush made a primetime speech regarding the Iraq withdrawal time table and other issues facing the nation. However, I have no clue when he made the speech. I planned to tape "Average Joe 4" from 7-8 pm on NBC. Not knowing if it would be interupted by the President, I set another VCR to tape 7-10 pm on NBC. With no time to check the tapes last night, I not only don't know if "Average Joe" was taped, but I also cannot comment on anything from Bush's mouth. That's probably better for everyone.

1 Comments:

At 8:49 AM, Blogger Utah said...

Ok, I watched the speech last night. I wasn't completely concentrating on it while I moved some files on my computer. However, there wasn't anything worth commenting on. Like the analysts said, it seemed more like a pep talk to the troops than an address to the nation. And I skipped over some of the post-speech comments because they bored me. Since Bush said we would leave Iraq when the Iraqis step up in their defense against terrorism, we are definitely going to watch his actions. As they say, actions are stronger than words.

On another note, everyone talks about being at war. The war against terrorism. Did the U.S.--as a nation--officially declare war? I'm sure President Bush made the declaration in some speech soon after September 11. But to officially declare war, isn't that Congress's job? Perhaps, even if they never voted specifically for war, they acknowledge it by passing bills to send financial support to Afghanistan and Iraq. Without saying "war," Congress hints it by approving Bush's measures to send troops overseas.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home