TheUtah Politick

Personal political rants. My opinion means nothing to you.

Since government cannot separate politics and religion, neither will I.

Monday, December 06, 2010

NRA vs. Gun Control

The Caller ID read "NRA". Do I even answer? Sure, let's hear what they have to say. (The conversation below is paraphrased.)

NRA: "Let me ask when was the last time you went shooting or hunting?"
Me: "It's been a couple years."
NRA: "I understand. I have boys age 7 and 2."
Did he just assume I'm married with kids and the reason I haven't been out with a gun is due to my family?

NRA: "Have you heard about the United Nations Small Arms Treaty? Obama supports it. They want to change our rights under the 2nd Amendment. What do you think about it?"
Me: "Well, I think the U.N. does lots of good stuff and has a role in governing the world, but the 2nd Amendment is important to Americans."
NRA: "I agree with what you said. Maybe I should state the question another way. The U.N. has already put gun control laws into effect in Canada. Do you want that to happen here?"

He said some other stuff...then he got to the point of the conversation.
NRA: "We need to let Congress know that we need to protect American gun rights. We have a membership option for you. Five years for $125 or three years for $100. Which one can I mark you down for?"
Me: "While I support the 2nd Amendment, I am not going to join the NRA. Lobbyists don't need my money."
NRA: "We need the lobbies to keep an eye on our elected officials. After they get into office, they flip-flop on their campaign promises. How do we let our Senators and Representatives know what the people think? I can do two years for $60."
Me: "I'm sticking to what I said. I'm not joining the NRA."
NRA: "Obama has support in the Senate. Bill HR 45 is already being discussed. How about one year for $30?"
Me: "No, I'm not joining the NRA."
NRA: "Thank you for letting me share this information."

Okay, Google, what do you know about HR 45? According to OpenCongress.org, "H.R.45 - Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009" was introduced 1/6/09 and had little other action thereafter. Further, "This is a fringe bill with no co-sponsors that has virtually zero chance of becoming law." That's not very reliable for an argument about supporting the NRA fight against gun control.

Let's also look up the argument about Obama using the United Nations to force gun control in the United States. This article makes some valid points about American civics. Do you notice the date of the post? May 2010. Again not very current. The article headline and subtitle reads, "Will Obama Sign U.N. Gun Control Treaty? U.N. Gun Control treaty is worth keeping an eye on but it is not a current threat."

A May 27, 2010, editorial in the Washington Times says, "The U.N. Small Arms Treaty opens a back door for the Obama administration to force through gun control regulations. Threats to the Second Amendment are as real today as ever." Wait, isn't this the opposite claim of the prior article?

Which article do I believe? An editorial--that is, an opinion article? Or Ammoland.com--"The Leading Shooting Sports News Service for Guns and Ammunition!"?

What is my point here? While I agree with the premise of lobbies to protect American rights, they tend to be too extreme and selfishly support their viewpoints rather than the views of general America.

What is wrong with extremism? Extreme left-wing politics = Communists (Stalin); Extreme right-wing politics = Fascists (Hitler); Extreme heat = Death; Extreme cold = Death; Extreme work ethic = Stress, then death; Extreme party ethic = Fun, then claims of laziness and worthlessness, then overdosing and death.

Maybe these examples are a bit extreme. But I think it proves the need for balance. In the case of NRA, they turn the slightest claim about gun regulation into a threat on American privacy and our right to bear arms. Imagine if the NRA had its way. There would be absolutely no limits. Anyone could purchase any gun and amass a huge arsenal. People would fill their cabinets solely out of fear of others, not for the pleasure of hunting. We'd have a personal arms race. Do we really want that?

But the NRA also keeps the government from controlling every move we make. If the government could, they might have cameras in every corner of the country and arrest anyone who even makes a gun shape out of their hand.

In summary....um....I forgot. [Big smile and wait for applause] Any questions?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home